View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #5
rondo

Re: for those newly diagnosed--STANDARD of care about to change-old dogma being disca

I was so encouraged by this study as I agonized over my decision not to have ALND after they found micromets in the sentinel node. My surgeon has been very supportive throughout the whole thing. My reasoning was as follows: no guarantee there won't be a locoregional recurrence even if they take the nodes out. What is guaranteed is permanent disability with ALND if you follow all the precautions they recommend! Also, what the @#** is the chemo for anyway if it won't take care of small amounts of cancer left in the nodes? Anyway, so far so good. I'll let you knoe how it turns out. Anyone else buck the trend that had positive sentinal node(s)?
IDC 6 mm l.b. 3/08 age 49; ER <1%+; PR -; KI67 40%; HER2 +++by FISH; lumpectomy/snb 4/08; extensive dcis found at surgery (didn't show in bx or mammo); micromet in sn; MRI breasts and chest 4/08-NED; re-excision l.b. 5/08; refused axillary node dissection; no ca found in re-excision tissue. TCH q 3 wk x 6 finished 10/08; whole breast rad x 7 wk finished 12/08; refused axillary and supraclavicular rad. Herceptin thru 6/09. Refused tamoxifen & aromatase inhibitors.
1/13 so far so good:-) have vestibular hypofunction from chemo but its all good since now officially on borrowed time!
rondo is offline   Reply With Quote