Thread: Tamoxifen help!
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
Debbie L.

Re: Tamoxifen help!

Dear SS,

It's amazing how differently each body reacts to these endocrine treatments. It is more common to hear issues like you are having from women on AIs, and at least then, they can switch to a different AI and find relief about 50% of the time. For some, the side effects are so severe that they switch to Tamoxifen for relief. So I don't know if it would be a worthwhile option for you to try ovarian suppression and an AI or not.

In the meantime, here are some things that have helped:

1. NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories) like ibuprofen (not narcotic pain pills). Celebrex may be the best of the bunch, for several reasons, but it needs a prescription and has its own side effect profile (as do all drugs).
2. Yoga, tai-chi or other stretching routines.
3. Regular exercise.
4. Some women have reported getting relief when their doctors prescribed a diuretic ("water pill"), I surmise on the theory that some swelling in or about the joints is involved in causing the pain. I have not looked for evidence on this one.

Good luck and keep us posted about what you find as solution. I know there has to be a solution for you.

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote