View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 09:35 PM   #18
Jean

Unhappy Have never believed or trusted the information

Interesting - from the on start of my dx. I have not trusted the facts given to me by the dr. It just did not make sense - many many women who were early stagers with no node involvement - were having progression. When I asked one onc did he believe that the main pathway was the lymph nodes? He stated that 25 yrs ago that was the belief - but that today we know that the blood circulatory system can pass the cells. As one oncology resource nurse told me from NCH - compare the lymph node to a basket that sits in the drain of a sink. It's purpose is to catch and filter out - now that basket has small tiny holes does any food particles get past the basket such as a small tomato seed? These cancer cells love to travel and set up shop elsewhere - my margins were large 25MM after removal of a 3MM tumor. (I was not impressed nor did I feel it was as favorable ) as the surgeon said it was. Was not or never will be comfortable making treatment decisions based on these factors. Rather I am deeply convinced (as Debbie) that the cell characteristics are the factors to examine. I do feel that a short time from now the future treatments will be decided upon the character of the tumor and the cells. For those that are early stagers way too many are experiencing recurrance! Currently many early stagers are now approaching their treatment decisions based on different factors. There is a study being conducted at Cornell with early stagers node negative - where the surgeon is doing a bone biopsey along with lumpectomy to test for the presence T cells. I had tried to get into this trial but was unable. I have lost two friends who both made the decision to have a mastectomy both were early stagers - they did not have any radiation.. I lost both of them within ten years! Much has changed in the last 8 yrs. since I lost them in the treatment of bc. The information the dr. gathers about a tumor's margins is important for treatment but does not usually influence your prognosis or the likelihood of recovery without metastasis or recurrence. We must always remember our bodies are complex and there are still many unanswered questions. I am doing all I can to deal with my bc (I like Cathy) believe in aggessive treatment against an aggessive disease. I am concerned for the newly dx. women who are told "don't worry we caught it early" I shake when I hear that. Being a history buff I often think of the Civil War when the poor soliders had their limbs removed without anesthesia, sounds mid evil. Well I feel the same sense of mid evil practice when a onc. says your tumor is small therefore your lucky...your cancer was caught early..etc. well that does not mean that it has not already moved along. Also, it is important to realize that while mastectomy removes nearly all of the breast tissue, a small amount remains. So, although this operation markedly reduces the risk, a cancer can still develop in the breast tissue remaining attached to the skin after surgery. There has been great documentation on women with a small tumor who choose lumpectomy and radiation can expect the same chance of survival as those who choose mastectomy. There are many many questions yet to be answered. I pray each and everyday for all of us and I desperately pray for a major break through on cancer treatment. I even dream of it and when I wake up I am sad - because it is a dream. But I will not give up my dreams. As my husband said to me during my herceptin treatment today - "Now it is in God's hands"

Jean

Last edited by Jean; 07-13-2006 at 09:45 PM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote