View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 09:46 AM   #12
AlaskaAngel

Re: Could use some positive thoughts

Hi Kathryn. I had some spots show up in the liver and change a bit at first too. As mentioned above, probably they were there before any bc, but I had periodic ultrasounds for the first couple of years.

A controversial measure that I and my doctors were able to use along with that was that both I and my PCP and my onc all favor the use of markers (either CA 15-3 or CA 27.29). It is true that they aren't accurate for everyone, and may not even be accurate for anyone ALL of the time. But it gave me and my doctors one more very rough factor to consider in deciding whether to scan when we were on the fence about scanning. The facilities vary in whether their lab uses the CA 27.29 or the CA 15-3, and at first I was having the CA 27.29 and then later was changed to the CA 15-3.

I would like to note that for me, I have not recurred in over 12 years, and the only time my markers were a bit above normal range was during the time I was doing chemotherapy (which is a cause of great inflammation in general). Since completion of tx, mine have remained entirely within the normal range.

It is just a suggestion to consider.

A.A.
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote