View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
Laurel

Re: Two beloved voices silenced

Amy,

You have touched a nerve with me. I hope this is not too off topic, but it seems I have a need to express this so here goes!

You spoke to me when you pondered what the world would look like if we all chose to face the world one breasted, or no breasted. How unspeakably brave....But what WOULD that look like????? I wonder how many women would we see on any given day in any given location or forum? How many would we see at work? In the supermarket? At church? In the park?

That prompts me to express something that has bothered me for quite some time. Why is it you cannot walk two feet to your left or to your right without encountering a fellow survivor, daughter of a survivor, son of a survivor, husband of a survivor... and yet see so few on Television? If we are 1 degree from a fellow sufferer, why are there not more passionate advocates out there in Hollywood or politics declaring themselves a member of our club? Who do you know who is FAMOUS who has Her2 + breast cancer? Can you name ONE? I cannot. Yet, I KNOW there are several out there due to the law of averages and statistics. Thank God for Christine and her courage and that of her husband and daughters. Thank God, literally, for the women who work so hard to keep this site up and running.

I admire Christina Applegate and Guilania Depandi for coming out of the breast cancer closet in recent times and Betty Ford and Nancy Reagan years ago, but what of the hundreds of other famous women who hide in the closet....indefinitely. I understand the initial need to not go public due to shock, panic, and overwhelming fear, but what about after treatment?

If you cannot walk through a supermarket on any given day in any small or large town in the world without crossing the path of AT LEAST 1 B.C. survivor, how can there be so few out there in the media, politics, and Hollywood?

I'm just sayin'.....

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote