View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #12
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
When cancer cells die, how do you feel....??????

Still hoping the researchers will look into training the dying cancer cells to alert the immune system. As Denise said, sounds so simple.

Meanwhile I continue to do all the talking I can to my body to keep my immune system on my case. And I follow as best I can the 7 suggestions above for boosting my immune system.

Heaven knows, I supplement away -- fighting off free radicals, taking anti-oxidants, detoxifying, suppressing tumors, inhibiting their growth, keeping my heart healthy, taking supplements w/anti-inflammatory properties (that are not potentially harmful if taken in frequent doses), energizing me (cause without them I'd be a latke/inactive lump), helping my digestive system (to gain some control of my seriously out of whack urgently scary need to find the nearest bathroom), relieve aches and pains (which naturally come w/age but certainly come w/chemo), improve my blood glucose...

I take Zoloft which helps me be ME, I take sleeping aides (so I can get the rest my body requires to regenerate and stay sane), take Ativan, Xanax whenever I really need it, along w/blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds (cause no matter how much fat and sugar I leave out of my diet my body produces the not so good stuff).

I most definitely take D (as we age our organs demand more of it and I can't possibly eat enough of the foods that contain it, nor do I sun), Omega 3, Co-enzyme Q10, calcium, C, baby aspirin every night to prevent stroke, Carnitine, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Coleus Foskohlii and of course my Evening Primrose Oil for the hotness.

BTW -- oncologist nutritionalist (my nut onc) has me on DIM-Plus (Diindolylmethane) 100 AM/PM which metabolizes estrogen, which I seem to have none of. I am ER-/PR- these days. (Started at borderline on ER/PR so they put me on Tamoxifen in '96 after 1st chemo.) When I recurred they told me to flush that down the toilet. I recall one onc said it could have caused the recurrence. Seriously?!

Now I believe finding that I was HER2+, which they didn't check for in '95, which I had to request in '98 b/c I'd been reading up in between, was the cause of my recurrence.

I think it is grand that first liners can get Herceptin from the getgo these days!!!!! A big step forward for so many!

BE WELL. TAKE GOOD CARE OF "YOU"!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sending Love and Light always,

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote