View Single Post
Old 02-22-2016, 05:56 PM   #9
VDC

Re: ketogenic diet and blood glucose

Well....I don't think the keto diet works for my body! I received the results of my latest lipid labs and although it isn't supposed to happen on a keto diet, my LDL rose 40 points! From 90 to 130. This is simply not acceptable since my family has familial hypercholesterolemia and have had elevated LDL from prenatal times. (mine was a LDL of 460 before lipitor) Ideally my LDL should be 70 with the familial hypercholesterolemia but the 90 was acceptable. The 130 is not.

Everything would indicate that I haven't been in ketosis, except for the little testing which indicates I have been. So, for some odd reason my body does NOT like being in ketosis! And in fact, I have struggled with nausea and flu like symptoms for almost the entire 7 weeks! I think it is probably time to call it quits!

However, I AM going to stick to a very low carb diet (20 grams or less like I am currently) BUT I simply have to reduce the fats in my diet.....particularly saturated ones. The fats are sending my lipids up to where they increase my risk of heart disease...and as a left breasted BC woman I don't need any more heart risk factors!

I am also going to increase some protein. I"m not exactly sure just how much protein to increase to, but with the loss of carbohydrates and fats from my diet, I need something to replace those calories with!

I guess I'm just one of those "outliers" when it comes to ketosis!
VDC is offline   Reply With Quote