Thread: Who We Are
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 06:01 AM   #19
chekmark

Re: Who We Are

My name is Darlene, my life is not as interesting as some of you but here it is in a nutshell. I was in an abusive marriage for 4 years while living in Hawaii, got happily divorced and remained that way for 10 years and then I met Mr. Wonderful and we have been married for almost 15 years. We are from Ohio and live in Akron, Ohio. I was never able to have children but have a 28 yr old stepson that I absolutely adore. I was diagnosed with cancer right after my 49th bithday. I am a medical biller and coder and my husband (Les) is a teacher. We are currently building a cabin in Southern Ohio. We are doing it ourselves so it has been a work in progress for almost a year now but it is almost completed and looking really good. I take in rescues and I currently have 2 cats (one of which actually found my cancer) and 1 dog. They are my babies.

So many of you donate your time and energy to helping others with cancer but I on the other hand want nothing to do with cancer. I have done some walks and I will donate to non profit organizations but I try to live my life as if I never had cancer. Cancer has changed my life in so many ways. I am feeling really good and enjoying every day. Life is good.
DX Sept 30 2010 at the age of 49. Oh crap! 1.5 cm idc, stage 1 grade 3 er/pr+, her2+ no lymph nodes, mastectomy Oct/10. Started 6 rounds of TCH Dec/10 and will continue herceptin until Nov /11 and just started femara.
Stray kitten found my lump while I was playing with it. It is now my pet and my dog is not real happy about that.
Mammo good
last herceptin 11/21/11 YAY
reconstruction 12/09/11
Chapter closed 12/10/11, hopefully, fingers crossed
Bone scan, chest xray, clear
04/27/12 Expander removed, implant put in, ahh sigh of relief, much more comfortable
Sept 30, 2014, 4 years NED
chekmark is offline   Reply With Quote