View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
karen z

Re: Just diagnosed teacher

I agree that you need to take a wait and see approach. The students you are teaching are not little ones and they likely all know someone (from their friends or parents) who have gone through treatment for cancer. And it sounds like you are waiting on more tests to find out what the treatment plan will be. What do you know from your pathology report? This might include HER2 status (which I assume is positive or you might not be posting here), estrogen status, progesterone status (each will be either positive or negative), size of tumor, grade of tumor, etc. Make sure that you know as much about your situation as you can at each "stage" of the tests, procedures. Do you have a family member or friend or colleague who can visit doctors with you in order to help take notes? If not, bring a tape recorder so you can replay what each doctor says as you may be (I was) too nervous to try and listen and take notes. Also, with regard to treatment I would get at least two opinions- just to be more comfortable before starting the process. If you teach you should have insurance. Check with your insurance but most plans cover second opinions (or beyond). Stay in touch and report back what you know when you know it. Best wishes and take things one day at a time (I know this is hard but it is all you can do right now so try hard).
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote