View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #27
Unregistered

Smile Re: Bilateral mastectomy support group

I'm so glad that I ran across this thread! Thank you, EVERYONE! Reading your posts, I'm sure I did the right thing for myself. I'll be 62 this year. I had a bilateral mastectomy in May of 2002, followed by chemo, radiation, and 5 years of Tamoxifen. My partner makes Essiac tea for me and has the whole time since surgery. We met just before I was diagnosed, and he went to every chemo and radiation session. I think the love, care, and laughter that we share has had a lot to do with my "cancer-free" status today.

I've always kind of joked about "regaining my girlish figure" through surgery, but there have been times that I have given the idea of reconstructive surgery a lot of thought. A co-worker had BC and had silicone implants and had a very uncomfortable time through it all, having them replaced. I'm with the enough is enough camp! I have a "fleet" of silicone prosthesis, but rarely wear them... more comfortable without bras, as they irritate scar tissue and where my Jackson-Pratt drains were.

***There are prosthesis that adhere with velcro to a triangle piece of fabric that you glue to your chest with "medical grade glue"(?). I've tried these and they are actually pretty good, as they move with you like real breasts. The triangle fabric can be left on the chest for several days, too. You can wear regular bras, too.***
Maybe I'm lazy :-) I've gotten used to not wearing any prosthesis. I'm a complete woman as I am. Not "less than" because I do not have breasts!

I am still sensitive as to not having "the girls" as you've called them in certain circumstances. I had to ask my son to take some photos off Facebook, as I'd worn a top that showed a little too much when I leaned over! But, all-in-all, what matters most is that I'm still "onboard" and can enjoy friends and family (w/ 3 beautiful grandchildren!) Next year will be 10 years. Yay! I wish all of you well. Love & Gratitude -- Debbi