Thread: Ports defective
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
jebp3

Re: Ports defective

Hi Rich66 and all: After 29 days of chemo over 4 years of fighting leukemia, my burned out veins became too painful so I had a port implanted Jan. 12, 2011. It is a new Bard Power Port, Lot REUJ0764, REF 1808000, serial # 3513, made by Bard Access Systems. It has been horrible. It never worked. It is defective in every way imaginable. The infusion techs refused to try to access it. It could not be flushed-could not get blood return but then when the needle was removed, it literally sprayed blood & bleeding was hard to stop resulting in massive bruising and swelling. The catheter was apparently defective since it kinked in a gentle curve and was 100% blocked per the x-ray. Bard refuses to discuss it. So today, June 8, 2011, I had it removed. The surgeon who removed it is not the one who implanted it. The surgeon who implanted it would not return my calls after I said it is defective. Seems he is real cozy with Bard. So I fired him! The surgeon who removed it said there is a hole in the catheter!!! I then made photos of the removed port showing app. 1/4 inch long lateral opening in the catheter. I asked the surgeon if any of the many large IV bags of chemicals could be floating around in my chest cavity. He replied: "you need to get an opinion on that". Real scary! I don’t know yet what the cost for removal will be or the medical consequences that large hole. If you’re having problems with your port, please file an FDA complaint online(Form 3500) as I did to prevent others having this horrific experience. Please share your experiences here also. LOL. Jim (jebp3)
jebp3 is offline   Reply With Quote