View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
SarahFoodforBC

Re: Co-Enzyme Q10 is not only good for heart, but also against Cancer

Hi bird,

the available evidence re CoQ10 and breast cancer is just too thin for me and there have been a lot of poor quality studies (in contrast with the work on CoQ10 and heart failure, which is much more convincing). While there was a lot of interest in the topic a few years ago by main stream researchers, it has petered out. This normally is a sign that previous study results were not great. The study I mentioned previously is the first one I have come across that indicates that high doses of CoQ10 might be harmful for breast cancer survivors and the results need to be confirmed. However, in a way it is not surprising since other antioxidants have also been shown to have a "U shaped" response curve. In other words, both a deficiency and an excess can promote cancer, whereas there is a level in between that inhibits cancer development, growth or invasion. The problem is that most of the time, we don't know where that "sweet spot" is and that is certainly the case for CoQ10. So, from my point of view, a safe and effective dose has not been established for those with breast cancer.
SarahFoodforBC is offline   Reply With Quote