View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
TriciaK

Another update on triciaK

I haven't been able to post lately, but wanted today to share an update and ask for suggestions again. You have all been so helpful and I appreciate you so much!
I am still struggling with my 4th cancer in almost 26 years. I thought I would get through it again as I did in 1985 ( right breast, double mastectomy);1990 (t9, t10 vertebra, no chemo, tamoxefen, diet, self hypnosis); cancer free for 15 years, then heart attack and discovery of her2 cancer in right lung in 2004, 5 months on navelbine and herceptin, then 10 more on herceptin alone.Had to stop because of heart, had triple bypass. NED for 5 years, until about a year ago when nodules were discovered again in the right lung. Tried repeating navelbine/herceptin combo first, but had bad reaction this time to navelbine, no chemo for several weeks, then tried gemzar and herceptin; broke out in a rash on my torso, plus vomiting and diarrhea. Waited two weeks, tried smaller dose of gemzar; markers went down again but worse rash returned; waited two weeks again, rash improved somewhat, tried xeloda and tykerb for 4 days, resulting in severe hives all over except for face, hands and feet. A dermotologist did a biopsy and confirmed that the cause was the chemo. Nothing topical has helped.I am still covered in hives. The itching is so miserable I can't sleep, and also have no appetite and frequently vomit if I try to eat.I saw my oncologist last Tuesday and he says we have to wait at least two weeks for the hives to hopefully let up before we try another chemo. The cancer in the lung is growing again and there is a spot on my liver also, so he feels we need to try another chemo, maybe halaven if possible. Each chemo I tried did result in dropping cancer markers, which rose again on herceptin alone, so my Dr. isn't sure the herceptin alone will work, which is why he wanted me to try the tykerb. I am not ready to give up but getting frustrated because of the terrible itching, no appetite, little sleep and feeling so weak. My immune system is so low that I can't go out even to church for fear of catching something like last month, when I spent about a week in the hospital with pneumonia.
You are all such an inspiration to me, and I know so many of you have gone through much worse than I have, so am hoping for any suggestions or experiences that may help us decide what to try next.The good news is that my heart is holding up fairly well, and my spirit is still strong. I know there are more options than there have ever been, if we can just find something that works for me. I have a wonderful husband and a large tremendous family all praying for me, and setting an example for them has always been important for me as matriarch. The thought has crossed my mind that maybe it is time to set an example of how to die gracefully, but I am stubborn enough to resist that thought as long as I can, though I have great faith and no fear of that experience when the time comes. For now I am not ready to give up and I plan to fight as long as it is feasible. (At least until I can finish my autobiography, which is about 2/3 done at this point.)
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. You are all in mine.I value your suggestions, comments and experiences.
Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote