Thread: lymphedema
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 05:10 AM   #1
Rupali

lymphedema

Hi all,
We made a big trip from US to India. It was a 20 hour travel and we chnaged flights in Paris. When we reached Delhi I heard some pain in my right hand which is the mastectomy arm. I had consulated my surgeon and physio therapist in US before we took the flight and they had all adviced that it should not be a problem and advised against putting a compression sleeve or a bandage.
They however gave us a bandage and said in case you feel something on the flight then tie the bandage on the arm.
I felt a little bit tingling in the arm while on the flight but I felt that was nothing severe so I did not put the banadage.
Now after we reached India I felt stiffness and tightness in my arm after 1 day. We went to the best Oncology center in New Delhi and showed the arm to an oncologist here as they have no lymphedema clinic. He adviced that we do manual massage and it will take 5-6 days to resolve the lymphedema.
This air travel has left me with lymphedema now and I feel my arm will never be the same as before.
Has anyone of you who has had mildlymphedemd after flight?
How have you solved it? Have u been able to return to normal life with the arm after it?
Please give me advices on what more I can do other than manual mild massage which I was told to do 3-4 times a day by having the arm at an elevated level and have a ibuprofen at night.
Please help me ladies.
Rupali is offline   Reply With Quote