View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 05:58 AM   #1
Karen Wheel

Breast pain and strange lumps?

I have been reading many of you say that you are living active lives (yoga, running, weightlifting) and I still am not up for starting running again (although I really want to as I miss it!) but my right breast is still so sore I can't imagine it?! And I do walk an hour or two a day and do yoga a few times a week but its hard as I am so sore. Also many of you say you had reconstruction and have no problems and I am not sure if I am normal or if maybe I should be more worried....????

My question is --- I had a 1/4 mastectomy (think they took half) and I don't think I'll have any reconstruction if I can help it --- I was a DD cup but now the good breast is down to a D (as I've lost the 30 pounds of Italian - I'm in love weight!) and the smaller is more like a big B ...ugh! However, I don't think many people notice it (even in a bikini) as I live in Sardegna and spend lots of time at the sea and in a bikini.

I am wondering how long I should think it is normal to be sore...? I am still almost as sore as I was about 3 months after surgery??? I think its weird that I'm not getting really any better.

However, there is a spot that they are watching in the same breast. Last month I had my first mammogram and ultrasounds - the doctor there could feel the spot I have been worrying about (my doctors in November when I brought it up said it was nothing as they couldn't find anything). It is low on the ribs and it actually feels like the first lump I found (I found it not the doctors or the mammogram). My oncologists for the therapy which was chemo and lately has been Herceptin, who work under my main oncologist, were poo-pooing my pain and my concerns this last week - saying it was nothing and the doctor on the ultrasound was exaggerating on the report.

So.... I am wondering if this soreness is just healing process (and slow?!) or if I should be taking this more serious? They are doing another ultrasound in 2 months. Also I have a MRI this next week with contrast. I asked about a PET scan (which I have not had one) and they don't think I need a PET as they say my blood markers are ok. However my markers were NEVER high - not even right after having the tumor removed... which of course the oncologists (chemo ones) say that is strange.... Oh, and I am Her2+++ (see signature).

I had surgery in late Feb 2009. Radiation in August. And just finished Herceptin....

Was hoping you had some sage wisdom for me??

I was thinking I read someone say (maybe Jackie?) that they had another lump they found like a year after the first surgery that somehow was missed? I am honestly worried that if that is the case, now that Herceptin is stopped it may start to grow quickly...

I'm doing all the right things with diet and nutrition, so in theory I should be on the mend, but this is bugging me....
Am I being paranoid???
Thank you so much in advance! Karen
3-09 – Right Quadrantectomy. Clear margins.
3 lymph nodes taken - all clear
Tumor results: Stage 1, 1.5 cm, Her2 +++
Est positive 80% - Prog 10% - Ki67 postive 30%
4-09 – Became a vegan! pH balance of body - cancer can't grow in neutral pH!
4-09 Started Herceptin & Chemo (9 weeks of Navelbine *)
* FYI - when coupled with Herceptin has the same results as more toxic chemo. No brainer!
8-09 - 30 RADS
9-09 - Said NO to hormone therapy
4-10 Finished Herceptin!!!!

7-10 PET Scan & other exams .... All clear! YIPPEE!!!!
11-10 Breast, organ Ultrasounds and lung x-rays all clear no changes ... NED!

2-25-2011 --- 2 years from surgery and NED!!!!!!
7-2011 Clear bone scan and full body and head MRI! NED! NED! NED! ;-)[/SIZE]
Karen Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote