View Single Post
Old 10-08-2015, 09:39 PM   #4
Jean

Re: Invited to a talk by Dr Slamon.

Most certainly so many of us owe Dr. Slamon our gratitude. I was dx. around the same time as you Tricia.
Here in the states early stage dx. women were not given herceptin. You had to take it off label. I flew out to California to consult with Dr. Slamon. He was so wonderful, patient and most of all so caring. It was such a frustrating time in my life. As the dr. in New York would not even consider treatment with herceptin/chemo being an early stage dx. her2 even though I was triple positive. At that time the oncotype DX test was also new and not even covered under insurance. Most onc. and dr. at that time back then would not order the test. I had insisted on the test being ordered and I ended up having to have the slides sent from the hospital myself out to Calif. The test results came back with high score for recurrence. Now ten years later just the other day I saw the test mentioned on TV as a way to determine if a woman should have chemo. I thank God each day for Dr. Slamon who agreed with me and said, 'Yes you should have herceptin treatment" we have come far but still have so far to go. Dr. Slamon's position was all women who are dx. with HER2 should have herceptin.
That was very forward thinking back in 05.
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote