View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #33
Catia

Re: Breast Reconstruction: Bravia Procedure-looks way easier and less painful

Hi there,
had my procedures done in Miami with Dr. Khouri who invented the BRAVA device. It is an external expander (like a suction bra) that you wear at night, artificially creating swelling (edema) in the breast to graft the fat into during surgery. This increased vascular stimulation ensures that the fat will stay alive and not die after it is placed inside the scaffolds of your swollen tissue (does not hurt). After I used the BRAVA initially I looked like I had breast again because it swells up big time but does not last unless the fat is injected. I like my results very much and my breast look and feel natural. Had no lumpy breast but did have a couple of little cysts that the doctor drained manually in the office (also did not hurt). The lipo areas hurt a lot afterwards and there is just no way around that. However, it seems all worth it in the end as your body is getting in shape again. I wore a glue-on type soft cast afterwards to stabilize the fat in place for 3-4 weeks, which also did not hurt and made the injection sites heal flawless. I would say after the swelling is gone I retained about 90% of the fat that was put into my breast,...you do lose a bit as not all cells injected are viable. It took about ten month and three grafting procedures with the fourth just being the nipple recon and some minor adjustments.Had no infections and this doctor often uses fat grafting to shape deformities, rebuild entire breasts like in my case with the double mastectomy or adds fat to implants to even them out. Hope this helps.
April 13th, 2011 Double Mastectomy, no immediate reconstruction
May 2011 to Nov, 2011 chemo AC-TH plus
Herceptin until Sep 2012
11/2012 Began GP-2 vaccine at MD Anderson in Houston (monthly shots until April 2013), now receiving booster shots every six months

Began natural breast reconstruction with BRAVA procedure in Oct 2012
With Dr. Khouri at the Miami Breast Center.

Oct 2012 First fat graft
Jan 2013 Second fat graft
March 2013 Third fat graft
July 2013 Final touch-up with nipple reconstruction
November 2013: Vaccine Booster #1
January 2014 Nipple tatooing
April 2014: Vaccine Booster #2
October 2014: Vaccine Booster #3
April 2015: Vaccine Booster #4 (trial finished)
Dec 2015: Scar treatment with Kenalog and laser

Update: 2022 still in the clear and the GP-2 vaccine trial I participated in is moving to 3rd and final phase. None of the women that are in it have relapsed!!!
Catia is offline   Reply With Quote