View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 01:16 AM   #32
Pinay88

Re: Bilateral mastectomy support group

Hello, I thank God that there is this site. I am a newbie here. I am lucky to have an amazing sister who led me to this group. Eleven days ago, I underwent a bilateral mastectomy.. it was an elective procedure on the left for peace of mind and symmetry Just yesterday, my JP drains were removed..yay! I have a wonderfully caring husband who has always been at my side since I got my diagnosis. We've been married for 15 years now and I know for a fact that hubby though is quite sensitive to the sight of scars, etc...so much so that I haven't shown my excisional scars to him since the surgery. I do hope we get through this phase of awkwardness, the only questions are how and when. We've always enjoyed our intimate moments. Any ideas, experiences to share? I was quite timid to ask this of my surgeon. Anyways, we were offered immediate reconstruction which I didn't buy into because the thought of longer healing and delay of further treatment was not appealing at all. Truthfully, when I saw myself in the mirror after surgery, I was not horrified but surprisingly calm with the only thought in my head that this will help to cure me. I can't also see myself wearing prosthetics in the immediate future...don't see how comfortable that will be in my country's climate. As for reconstruction in the future, just the mere thought of more surgeries is enough for me to put that idea in the back burner. This has gone on long now. Thanks to you all. Reading what you sisters post here is more than enough to inspire and invigorate me as I start my own journey in battling this disease. God's blessings to us all.

Diagnosed at age 38 with IDC (T1, N0, M0)
6/22/2011: Excision biopsy, right breast, 1.9cm tumor,
ER-/PR-/HER2+++, grade 3
7/12/2011: MRM, right; elective mastectomy, left
ALL residual breast tissue and 19/19 lymph nodes NEGATIVE for tumor...yay!!
8/18/2011: port placement, start AC, cycle 1
10/23/2011: end AC cycle 4
12/12/2011: TH cycle 2 done
1/17/2012: Taxotere 3 done, on herceptin holiday due to arrhythmia..

Pinay88 is offline   Reply With Quote