View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Gerri

Re: Extreme fear of mri's

Hi Dixie,

I too am claustrophobic but I would consider my fear to be more moderate than extreme. Before I got my first breast MRI I was very afraid that I would freak out in the machine; I did much better than I expected. My first few MRIs were done face down with my arms stretched over my head; they lasted for about 45 minutes. I was amazed that I made it through okay, but I did!

I have a routine breast MRI done once a year; I don't really worry too much about it any more. The place I go to now actually has what they call an "open" MRI. It has a larger opening and is intended for larger people and those with claustrophobia. I can keep my arms down at my sides and the test only lasts for about 25 minutes (I believe they are newer machines). I just tell them when I call that I am claustrophobic and they automatically assign me a larger unit.

My strongest recommendation is that once you enter the room you do NOT look at the opening you will be entering - I never do. Once I am on the table, I close my eyes and don't open them the entire time I am in the machine. I try to think of other things while I am in there, but truth be told they are very noisy so sometimes it is difficult to divert your mind. I am always told when a session is beginning and how long it will be. Time seems to pass a little quicker when we are in a countdown.

Just remember to breathe and try to keep your mind out of panic mode. It seems to get easier for me each time. I hope that if you do have to have an MRI you will be able to get through it okay. Look what you have been through already. Trust me, you are stronger than you think.
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote