Thread: Melanoma
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2015, 07:26 PM   #2
caya

Re: Melanoma

Hi jaykay,

I had a pre-melanoma mole on my upper thigh discovered by my dermatologist last summer. It looked innocent enough to me, it was very small, but triangle shaped, so my derm cut it out, said it was "probably nothing". He personally called me back about a week later to tell me I'm fine, but I was about 4-5 months away from melanoma.
He sent me to a plastic surgeon who did a deeper and wider excision to get better margins, and all is fine. But I am diligent about not being out in the sun too much, and if I am, I am pretty covered up and wearing strong sunscreen.
I now see my derm 2x/year for a "once over." He cut out another mole last week, I am waiting for the biopsy report now on that one.

I did not have radiation. But as BC survivors was are susceptible to other cancers, you just have to be as vigilant as you can. Don't beat yourself up about it, many of us were avid sun worshipers in our youth.

I hope your treatment goes well, early stage is very treatable.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote