View Single Post
Old 02-21-2007, 01:18 AM   #5
Chelee

I did TCH myself. Jean already covered many of the things I would have. I took the Zofran for nausea which worked great. Around my 3rd chemo trt I didn't even take the Zofran and was fine. I always felt like I might get sick..but never did. I always found if I *forced* myself to put a small amount of anything in my stomach...it got rid of that sick feeling. So thats the trick..to TRY to keep food in there. Plus remember...this is no time to try to diet. So eat whatever tastes good and worry about it when your off chemo. I know with TCH it ruins your taste buds in a big way. Leaves an awful taste in your mouth and on your teeth. (That was my experience anyway.) Try to drink plenty of water. Around your 3rd chemo I think you will find water tastes nasty...but if you put it in the frig and drink it cold its much better...or if you add some flavor to it. Or drink some gadorade or "Power Aid" if you have too. That was really good COLD. Plenty of fluids.

I am pretty sure it was the Taxotere to blame for the aches and pains in bones and joints. I just ached all over. Its bad about the first week & a half after chemo and it gets better for about a week BEFORE you go back for your next cycle of chemo. The taxotere is no doubt to blame for the hair lose also. But hair grows back...so thats not to worry about.

I noticed you were concerned about your fatigue level and blood counts. I am not sure there is really much you can do to help that. You are going to have a *certain* about of fatigue no matter what you do it seems. (However...that being said...there have been SOME women that have actually breezed through their chemo trts and done quite well.) So everyone is different. I do know I felt better and less fatigued when I got some real protein in me which was hard to do. At one point I could hardly eat and was drinking "Ensure" with protein and Omega 3 & 6. I just know its very important to make sure you eat right if possible. But expect to be tired to some level. I don't think there is anyway around that one?

As to procrit and neulasta. You will probably get that depending on your lab work each time you go in. They always do labs before you do your chemo. If your RBC (red blood count) or WBC (white blood count) is low...then you will get a shot. Procrit you can have the *same* day as chemo...but with Neulasta they usually make you come back the following day to get it. But again..you ONLY get it if your counts are down..they will let you know.

I think its great you have decided to go after this now with guns a blazing...I think thats a very smart idea. You will get through this...take one day at a time. Each time you get through one chemo...just tell yourself, one down and five to go. It goes by quicker then you would think. Hang in there and if we can help just holler.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote