View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
jacqueline1102

Re: PERJETA solo anyone? How to access?

Hello SoCalGal,

I am on Herceptin and Perjeta with no Taxol. My oncologist prescribed this as such despite what the FDA insert said on the medication pamphlet/box. I agree with you that if you can avoid harsh chemo by all means do so. One of the nurse navigators informed me that my doctor would not prescribe the Perjeta without the Taxol because "that's how the FDA wants us to prescribe this." What is interesting I had already spoken with my oncologist about the Perjeta and he had informed me that he would write the order without the Taxol because my liver spot was already .9 mm showing considerable shrinkage. Needless to say, I asserted myself strongly with the nurse navigator whom I had never even met. She was put in her place by the oncologist. This is a new drug and cancer centers, nurses, and pharmacists may be quite rigid. Your oncologist should be your advocate. I have been doing well thus far and there was even more shrinkage on the liver spot now to .6 mm after just two months of the H/P combo. Good luck and tell your doc that other centers are prescribing without the Taxol. I hope this helps. The only thing I can think of which would make your doctor decline your request may center on the fact that you have other chemos. My doctor did tell me because I have not been heavily treated in the past he was much more open to foregoing the Taxol.

Take care,

Jackie
5/12-7/12 33 Radiation treatments
8/1/12 Started Perjeta along with the Herceptin
10/12 Scans said NED for first time
5/15 UWSeattle Vaccine Trial 3 months
12/16 Scans still show NED. Herceptin and Perjeta continue indef.
8/17 Taken off Perjeta;staying on Herceptin. Still NEAD.
3/18 Still NEAD
8/19 Now on Subcutaneous Herceptin
10/21 Remain on Subcutaneous Herceptin (Hylecta)
11/21 CT showed possible lung mets. Was told to wait and see until scan
1/22 CT shows continued growth
03/22 Lung Biopsy said sample was too small but nodules keep growing and IR is convinced that it is indeed cancer
04/22 Oncologist referred for consult for a transbronchial biopsy. This does not sound pleasant
jacqueline1102 is offline   Reply With Quote