View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #16
jellybean

Re: How can they know this?

I am glad your daughter had such a great response to treatment. Of course, her oncologist can't know how long she will live. All the doctor can do is give his best estimate, based on the median of how patients like your daughter have done in the past (without the new medications that are coming along). My oncologist was very reluctant to give me any estimate, when I was diagnosed with widespread metastatic disease (lots of bones, liver, and lymph nodes). I pressed and pressed, wanting to be able to plan my approach to work, finally sending her an email with multiple choice questions. At the time, she said 5 years, outside chance 5 to ten. Well, next month will be 5 years since I received her email, and I am still (knock wood!!) doing great. Yesterday, for example, I rode my bike 40 hilly miles and then swam a few laps. It has been almost 6.5 years since my original diagnosis (with was stage 4 from the beginning). In November, I will hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. So, don't lose hope! Her doctor probably wanted your daughter to have a sense of the possible time frame, so she can seize the time available to do what she has always wanted to do.

JB
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote