View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 12:28 PM   #23
Wendywins

Smile To fellow ERPR negatives/HER2+/lymphnode-involved "sisters"

Those who get to have herceptin should take heart! It sounds like the best treatment.
Taxol turned out to be the worst in terms of side effects (ie bad effects) on me...and so Herceptin sounds soooo much easier to take and recover from.

For taxol tips, check out this site and others. It and it appears that the carrying agent for taxol ( rather than the taxol itself )may be harder on folks in terms of joint pain, burning palms/soles, puffy feet, neuropathy and the shooting pains etc.. Not everyone gets these effects but those who do need to let their doctor know so that possibly the dosage can be reduced or alternative formulations if any considered , I think. Sounds like some get this kind of reaction from taxotere?as well.

Longterm affects from taxol on joint pain, feet etc can be alleviated but many oncology docs do not seem to have a clue as to how so sites like this are great to find ways to cope , compensate, alleviate. I had to do a lot of hunting to find out that I was not "the only one" who had these affects . Doctors are apparently assured by drug companies that the adverse reactions are extremely rare and thus assure patients that the affects are rare and if present will disappear quickly and are flummoxed in cases where 90 days later or more, they are still present. There are simple things one can do for oneself...which aid greatly in comfort and recovery. One is simply changing to "wide shoes" with minimum sides ...like sandals or earth shoes even if one has never worn them before... Trust me, its like a miracle for those who have been in foot pain from taxol. Life is great when you can WALK again!!
Warm weather and warm water exercise also helps joints. I personally prescribe a warm dry climate and swimming in warm water! If you can, you owe it to yourself.

Wendywins is offline   Reply With Quote