View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #11
Westcoastgirl

Re: Cancer Care Package...what would you put in it?

I too had women coming from all over with gifts for me when first diagnosed. I was overwhelmed by people's generosity and caring. Women I did not even know called and came to visit. I was given two gifts that meant a lot to me. One was a beautiful blanket that I used to cuddle in when feeling ill. The other gift that was especially caring was prepared meals. Recently when a friend was to go through chemo yet again I had to think of this very question as to what I would like to give to her. I chose the gift of meals. My husband and I made several lovely meals (ones that I knew might be better tolerated by someone not feeling very well) and froze them. I also included a frozen pie. We thought it was a gift not only for her but for her wonderful husband as well. It is not only we women that do this journey and sometimes it seems harder on the caregivers than the persons in charge; that would be we survivors. Take care, Carolyn
1/15/09 double mastectomy/skin sparing; no evidence of vascular/lymphatic invasion, 8neg/8 nodes (tumor 8.0mm)
2/16/09 given portacath/removed 4/30/10
2/18/09 "surprise" 2.0mm tumor/positive borders~
completed 28 rads 10/09.
2/23/09 until 4/19/10~treatments every 3wks (4 Cytoxan + Adriamycin, 4 Taxol + Herceptin, 13 Herceptin alone)
8/09 osteoporosis diagnosis/Zometa 3 yrs of 1x/6 months
Chemo side effects; Deafness, kidney function loss
11/09 began Aromatase Inhibitor (Femara)/Feb2014, stopped Femara early/after 3 mos began Tamoxifen for 8 mos to complete 5 years
11/10 Reconstruction, directly to silicone implants
12/11 nipples by skin graft/Right breast size reduced

I have heard th
ere are troubles of more than one kind

Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me!
Dr. Seuss
Westcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote