View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
Debbie L.

Re: From the CBS Early Show Do you agree with this thought?

>What are your feelings on this? Do you agree with Dr. Phillips, in that "how you go into it is what you get out of it?"

No, the short answer is that NO I do not agree, if we are talking about cancer behavior (as opposed to qol). I worship at the "this is a crap shoot" altar, and I reference Molly Ivens: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...201917,00.html

I'll await more comments before delving in deeper, but I stand ready to delve. I think there's pressure upon us to accept this nonsense, because it comforts those without cancer -- allowing them to believe that even if, god forbid, they should join our club, they'll still be in control of the outcome by maintaining that "positive attitude".

I take no personal credit for still being here. I know WAY too many wonderful, strong, loving, positive-thinking souls who are no longer here. They are no longer here NOT because they were not positive enough. They are no longer here because their disease was (crap shoot) just too virulent. On behalf of and in honor of those strong, positive-thinking, wonderful, loving souls -- I protest this brainwashing that encourages us to think that our thoughts can control cancer. Our thoughts can control our moments, and perhaps the moments of those who love us. But they cannot (alas) control cancer.
HER2neu positive by IHC and FISH (8.89).
Lymphovascular invasion, grade 3, 8/9 modified SBR.
TX: Control of arm of NSABP's B-31 adjuvant Herceptin trial (no Herceptin, inducing a severe case of Herceptin-envy): A/C x 4 and Taxol x 4 q3weeks, then rads. Raging infection of entire chest after small revision of mastectomy scar after completing tx (significance unknown). Arimidex for two years, stopped after second pathology opinion.
2017: Mild and manageable lymphedema and some cognitive issues.
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote