View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #10
jacqueline1102

Re: MD Anderson's charges

Hello all,

I have an interesting story to tell. The cancer care center, where I receive treatment, recently went through a rather extensive accreditation process to have MD Anderson added to the name. Check out the website: MD Anderson Community Cancer Care, Indianapolis, Indiana. Here is the interesting piece. My treatment will not change one bit. My physicians will not change one bit. The cancer care center may now have the MD Anderson label but nothing really changes. Because I work in health care I have some understanding of what this really means. Cancer care is big business and the cancer care centers are all in competition. I was told that I would have access to clinical trials perhaps more quickly but that nothing really changes.

The nurses told me that because MD Anderson is now attached to the name, patients are coming in droves within the state and in the midwest. Which is good for them. What this means for me is that my infusion times went from what used to be 3 hours max turned into 6 hours last night. I am not complaining because I am happy to have insurance through my work. And herceptin and perjeta are doing the job so far. I was just finding this a fascinating conversation.

Oh, one more thing. There are some awesome commercials and billboards now throughout the city praising the merger. I wonder how much that cost?

Hope that makes sense,

Jackie
5/12-7/12 33 Radiation treatments
8/1/12 Started Perjeta along with the Herceptin
10/12 Scans said NED for first time
5/15 UWSeattle Vaccine Trial 3 months
12/16 Scans still show NED. Herceptin and Perjeta continue indef.
8/17 Taken off Perjeta;staying on Herceptin. Still NEAD.
3/18 Still NEAD
8/19 Now on Subcutaneous Herceptin
10/21 Remain on Subcutaneous Herceptin (Hylecta)
11/21 CT showed possible lung mets. Was told to wait and see until scan
1/22 CT shows continued growth
03/22 Lung Biopsy said sample was too small but nodules keep growing and IR is convinced that it is indeed cancer
04/22 Oncologist referred for consult for a transbronchial biopsy. This does not sound pleasant
jacqueline1102 is offline   Reply With Quote