View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #14
Debbie L.

Re: CNN Report Promising Cure Vaccine

(I'm surprised that anyone is ever able to post as "unregistered". I've tried repeatedly, thinking it would be faster than logging in - and I can NEVER get those dang anti-spam letters correct. Sheesh.)

So, this report is interesting but is nowhere close to being a breakthrough, or the cure, or anything LIKE that. This report is about SIX MICE. There are legions of studies with incredibly impressive results in mice that did not turn out to work, at all, in humans.

Gary Schwitzer has an excellent website where he critiques news reports of medical advances, and he does a great job of reminding us when the media headlines overstep the reality of what is being reported. If you are interested in medical/cancer news, you owe it to yourself to have a basic understanding of what is important vs. what might, maybe, someday, perhaps -- turn out to be important. Here's what he said about FOX news (and others) reporting on this story:

http://www.healthnewsreview.org/blog...st-cancer.html

If you find that interesting, you could also check out a website referenced by Gary, and look especially at the link to their criteria for "what consumers need in stories" (box on top right): http://www.healthnewsreview.org/

It's good that scientists are asking these important questions and keeping us posted about what they're finding. But it's bad that the media can at times be so irresponsible in how they report these things. For inspiration, check out Gary's recent report of how a breast cancer advocate took a southern California NBC affiliate to task for their poor reporting: Sandra Spivey speaks out

Don't get me wrong. I am actually pretty excited about the potential for a prevention vaccine. But it's FAR from ready for prime time.

If you've made it this far, you are interested. Another excellent opportunity for breast cancer advocates to educate themselves (and with that knowledge, to help others) is offered by NBCC. They now have two versions of their Project LEAD program, to educate interested advocates about the science. The program is free (thanks to grants from Avon) and they offer scholarships to help with travel and lodging, if needed: Project LEAD

(Here's what NBCC says about this vaccine report: MICE)

Debbie Laxague

Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote