View Single Post
Old 12-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
evlin75

My daughter, Susan.

Passed Thursday the 18th of December. Diagnosed as invasive ductal her 2+++ in April 2003. Possibly been there 10 years and undiagnosed despite yearly mamograms.
Herceptin was just in clinical trials and not available for immediate access to her.
She did a vaccination trial at Johns Hopkins after it metastasized to her bones a couple years later. Then as many targeted drugs as possible as the cancer continued to advance to her cerebellum. Had surgery to remove a tennis ball sized growth - then WBR.
We researched and used what was available to us keep her as stable as possible. She had excellent doctors and a great oncologist.

She did have a supra clavicle enlarged lymph node that seemed to be a problem. They measured it for a while -then did cyber knife. But that did not work- just made it open and angry looking.
2 1/2 years ago lepto-meningeal was discovered from her MRI. The doctors said 6 weeks.
Again we researched and discovered some success with herceptin per intrathecal and ommaya. It seemed to hold it at bay with added chemo agents for a while. They were just checking the spinal fluid though the last couple years and suddenly it was evident checking the fluid was not sufficient to check the progression.

When the MRI was finally done we then were able to see massive progression that could no longer be controlled or stopped. Radiation was attempted to reduce the swelling in the brain and spinal cord -but to no avail.

So we lost my daughter. We gained two and a half years by the measures we took. Much of the time could not be called quality time however.
I post this information to help others to understand the need for MRIs to find progression in the brain and spinal cord.

I give everyone here my best wishes and I hope research will bring more hope and longevity to you all.

Ev
evlin75 is offline   Reply With Quote