View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 09:42 AM   #56
Margerie

I think part of the problem, at least for me, is the mind shift between the stress on early detection of an initial diagnosis of bc and then accepting that after initial treatment- what will be, will be as far as mets are concerned. I mean it has got to be better to catch them early right? And detecting them earlier than symptoms present will not improve survival? I know that scientifically this is what is "proven", but it just doesn't gel completely. Are they completely different beasts? The traveling breast cancer cell is the enemy in both cases. We hope we caught it in time for Stage I-III. We know we didn't at Stage 4. Are these studies done with the newer stats for newer therapies for Stage 4? I guess I am just an optimist. They also have "proven" that mammograms don't pan out for women under 40. It is not financially sound to screen all women every year under 40 because the mammos are not as accurate and the additional radiation unwarranted. But if I was told to get a mammo every year, or a breast MRI and/or u/s, after my initial mammo, which was "disease-free" at age 35 due to lump, they would have caught my beast long before it was stage IIIA- 2.5 years and another lump later. I vote for changing the maintenance guidelines for high risk for recurrance bc patients. Defined by me as node + and or her2+. Probably triple neg too.

I ended up with a wonderful oncologist and we meshed well philosophy-wise in this business. It was interesting to me that he did not recommend any scans at initial diagnosis other than a chest x-ray. He said because he feels that if anything turns up on a scan, the tendency is to under-treat. I was young and we decided to go all out as far as treatment and scanned after chemo. Thankfully NED has been my friend for 2 years since diagnosis. We will do scans periodically until 3 years post-dx. We do run CA 27.29 at every blood test every 9-12 weeks. I don't get caught up in the numbers. They will tell me if they double in the normal range or march on to the high range. I don't know how much this test costs my insurance, in addition to normal blood tests, but I imagine it is no more than a couple hundred dollars every 3-4 months. If it will help catch anything in it's infancy- I am all for it. I do know that it is no guarantee either. Actually bc is a big fat lesson in no guarantees- isn't it?

I do think this is a great discussion and hope all of us are able to discuss the pros and cons of TM's and scans with our oncs.

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote