View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
CarolineC

Re: New Plan, New Chapter for progression

Hi Sheila,

I have had to go to a larger center twice in the last 2 years for radiation treatments; once for 6 weeks and once for 4 weeks. Both times I actually moved there for the duration because it would have been 600 km roundtrip each day. I looked into the Cancer Lodge where I would have had to pay $40/night (however there was a $50/ night extra charge if someone were to stay with me) and meals were provided, a local inexpensive hotel for $50/night, or a short term rental at a condo (good thing it was the off-season) which equalled the cost overall of the hotel. I decided on the condo because it was like home and I could have visitors and family stay with me. Yes, it was expensive and we had to use our savings, but I have and will be adding it to my income tax expenses and I didn't really have a choice to drive that far everyday. The Cancer Agency where I went also had a list of accommodations but I basically found out the short-term rental idea because of someone I knew from my area; the Cancer Agency didn't have condos as an suggestion.

In the long run, it was less stress on me; treatments were at different times of the day and I was a five minute drive from the centre. I had alot of company that would be my support and I actually spent time with my 3 sisters for the first time in 4 1/2 years. One came from Ottawa (across the country), one from Calgary (eight hours away) and one from my area. I call those times my radiation vacations because so many people helped to make the time easier for me and because for the most part my radiation treatments have been the only time I've gone away.

Caroline
4 x AC, 4 x Paclitaxol and H (Neupogen for 7 cycles), Herceptin complete Nov 10
Mar–Apr 2010 25 Rads
Apr 10-Oct 11- Tamoxifen
Oct 11 – 3 cm met to sternum
Oct 11-Letrozole for 3 mths, start Clasteon-bone remodeller
Nov-Dec 11 - Happy 50th Birthday -20 rads to sternum
Jan-April 2012 Taxotere/Herceptin-6 cycles (Neupogen for 5)
Herceptin every 3 weeks-Letrozole added Nov 2012
CarolineC is offline   Reply With Quote