Thread: Brain Mets
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
krisvell

Re: Brain Mets

Rick,
I am very sorry to hear about your wife. Im going to share with you what I've learned in the last two months in the same journey that I am on. I found out I had a brain met on my brain stem 2.0cm; fairly large. My symptons were numb leg and then started seeing double vision. Since then, I've had two Gamma Knife treatments and have seen a 30% shrinkage in volume. So I am hopeful. I am feeling a little bit better everyday with some improvement in my vision.
With regard to systematic treatment, my oncolgist had 3 options;
1. wait and watch as they have not found cancer anywhere besides the one brain met.
2. Tykerb + Femara (already on)
3. Tykerb + Xeloda

She’s thinking #2 but wants to wait until I get a 2nd opinion.

Chrisy’s right Tykerb crosses the brain blood barrier. I’m not 100% sure but I think Xeloda does too.

I am going for a 2nd opinion on April 4th at Memorial Sloan Kettering (NY) and meeting with an Oncologist who deals a lot with brain mets. I sent an email to Musa at the brainmetssbc website and she gave me a few names. My oncologist helped me decide who to see.

2011 seems to be an epidemic of brain mets on this site... There's a lot of new posts. There's also a lot of ladies who are successfully dealing with this. (founder-Christine Druher,StephN Courtney L, Kavvy, Hutchibk (Brenda), Kiwigirl, Joan M, Virginia, Barbara H., Pam and others that I probably forgot about). They are all giving me hope and I hope they do for you and your wife.

A few things that were really a big help to me were:
- reading the Brain Mets threads on this site. I just did a search and learned a ton.
- http://www.brainmetsbc.org/ - Just dedicated to bc brain mets. Karla told me about this. That’s where I found Drs for a 2nd opinion. I send an email to Musa and she gave me two top docs in NY and Boston that were close to where I live. Although Chrisy mentioned Dr. Keith Black whos the rock star for Brain stuff.
- http://mbcnetwork.org/ - Metastatic Breast Cancer Network. Great resource.
Sending your wife and family hugs, prayers and love,
Kris......
10/07/09 - Finished Chemo
10/27/09 - Mastectomy RB
Path Report: RB No residual tumor pCR,
2 of 15 pos - .5mm largest micromets
12/18/09 - Radiation started (28)
02/05/10 - Finished Radiation
01/11/10 - Started Femara
06/22/10 - Finished Herceptin.. My son's 22nd BD. Hope it's a sign! Hoping for the best.
11/15/10 - Started Walter Reed BC Vaccine trial at
1/04/11 - Sibley Mem. Had to withdraw due to met
01/23/11 - Stage IV - Brain Met 1.6cm 1.7cm
02/03/11 - Gamma Knife (2 fracts to minmize necrosis)
03/01/11 - Gamma Knife
6/11 - Necrosis
7/11 - Necrosis stopped & Tumor progression
8/11 = Now think it's really necrosis
9/11 - Avastin every two weeks -- It's working!! Necrosis is shrinking.
12/11 - Necrosis gone AVASTIN worked.
12/11 - Bone &CT found

Oct '10 - Ran Hartford 1/2 Marathon to Thank Dr. Slamon for Herceptin!
krisvell is offline   Reply With Quote