View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 12:34 AM   #18
Sandy2

I read your site all the time but don't post because I feel like doing so would be an invasion of "your" territory. I found this site when researching Her2neu+ breast cancer for my best friend who is battling it. I've found a wealth of information and encouragement here and for this I thank all of you. She doesn't read the site because I think she feels she devotes enough time to the cancer by driving 100 miles each way for treatment - she just finished her last daily radiation treatment, finally, thank God, but will continue Herceptin for a year. She already had the AC chemo, then Taxotere.

I think all of your stories are inspiring and that you are one brave group of spectacular and extraordinary women, and your stories are incredibly uplifting as well as informative, and it was with information gathered here that my friend was able to make informed decisions about her treatment options.

Unfortunately, reality is that in any group facing a life-threatening disease some will die. Women like you - making the decisions, participating in the clinical trials, taking the treatments, becoming informed consumers of breast cancer health care, being active participants in your treatment, and maybe most importantly of all, supporting and informing and helping each other along the way - are what it is all about. You are the pioneers, paving the way for newer and better treatments and someday, a cure. All of you need to be remembered, always.

I think a memorial site would be a lovely and appropriate way to remember and honor the brave women who fought but lost the battle. Those who love them will remember in their own ways, but people reading here need to know that these women were members of this group who gave support and encouragement here in whatever way they could - they were women who lived and deserve to be remembered, not just drop out of sight. They will remind us all why we need to keep pushing for a cure.

On a lighter note... I am a nurse and have cared for many, many middle aged or even very old ladies who had breast cancer years ago when the only treatment was a radical mastectomy, even some with extensive lymph node involvement - there were no tests for prognostic indicators, Her2neu, etc. But I'd bet more than we realize had the Her2neu tumors and they are alive and kicking and dealing with problems associated with normal aging, not breast cancer. So I think your optimism is appropriate - keeping hope alive and strong is always appropriate, even for those who've been labeled "incurable."

You are AWESOME.

Sandy