View Single Post
Old 07-19-2008, 09:50 PM   #15
kcherub

I am upset with the original CNN report!!!

I guess it will all depend upon how each of us found our cancer, but I shudder to think when (or where) mine would have been found had I not have done a BSE that month. My tumor was 1.4 cm. after pathology, but we all know that is was actually smaller than that (with probably a cell or two out that far). It was 6.2 mm. on the initial biopsy.

I was 34 in March 2007 (when I was diagnosed), and with no red flag family history (PGM diagnosed with BC at age 70 in 1979), I wouldn't have had a mammogram for another 6 years. I was pretty much the only one that could feel the lump with initial contact, so my GYN might have missed it at my next exam.

I worry about the CNN article for women like me. I worry that my friends (with or without family history) will read it or hear about it, and not do a BSE. While I understand that all BCs can't be found with a BSE, I don't think the ones that are should be discredited.

I was also a little offended that the article made it seem like the trauma of biopsies that come back benign are too much for women to handle. Puh-leez. I would take 10 benign biopsies over the one I got.

Sorry--this is a soapbox issue for me, and I am stepping down now.

Much love,
ER/PR 90%+ HER2 +
6 TCH started 5/25/2007, ended after #5 due to steroid "reactions" and neuropathy in feet and hands
BUT--#6 CH w/o Taxotere
Begin Herceptin alone 9/28/2007
30 rads completed 12/19/2007
Finish Herceptin 5/9/2008
Stopped Tamoxifen early--HATED it.
Married 17 years
13-year old son
3 embies on ice (from 1999)
GA, USA

kcherub is offline   Reply With Quote