View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
sdstarfish

Re: A meta-analysis of diet, physical activity and bc risk: An evolutionary perspecti

Hi, Hopeful:
I can see you've been doing your homework by reading scientific abstracts. I commend you for empowering yourself with knowledge

My only word of caution to you would be this: sometimes it's hard to get the whole picture without reading the whole study. For instance, in this article, the abstract does not mention which types of fats were used. Certain fats are actually necessary and good for the body, while others are detrimental to health.

Another point is that the full article would contain a discussion, in which the researcher(s) assessed the shortcomings of their experiment - for example, maybe their group was too small, had too much in common, or maybe the experiment just wasn't conducted as well as it could have been for other reasons. This is valuable info that is rarely, if ever, in the abstract.

University libraries have scientific journals, and you can access them for free so that you can see the full articles. Also, you can sometimes access full articles for free via Google Scholar.

All the best,

Lisa
http://www.pinkkitchen.info
sdstarfish is offline   Reply With Quote