View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Re: Happy Rosh Hashana- Jewish New Year!

FYI -- on the Hebrew calendar this is 5774. (5773 is so 2013...)

This year the High Holidays came early, as Caya mentions.

So does Chanukah! It coincides with Thanksgiving this year!

The Jewish calendar repeats on a 19 year cycle, and Thanksgiving repeats
on a 7 year cycle. You would therefore expect them to coincide roughly
every 19x7 = 133 years.

Looking back, this is approximately correct –
the last time it would have happened is 1861.

However, Thanksgiving was only formally established by President Lincoln in1863.

So, it has never happened before.

Why won't it ever happen again?
The reason is because the Jewish calendar is very
slowly getting out of sync with the solar calendar, at a rate of 4 days per 1000 years!

This means that while presently Hanukkah can
be as early as 11/28, over the years the calendar will drift forward, such that the earliest Hanukkah can be is 11/29.

The next time Hanukkah falls on 11/28 is 2146, which is a Monday. Therefore, 2013 is the only time Hanukkah will ever overlap with Thanksgiving!!!

Of course, if the Jewish calendar is never
modified in any way, then it will slowly move forward through the Gregorian calendar, until it loops all the way back to where it is now.

So, Chanukah would again fall on Thursday, 11/28...in the year 79,811.

Given our trajectory with global warming, it is fair to say humans won’t be here then. And if there are no humans, the holidays will be cancelled.

So on November 28th 2013, enjoy your turkey and your
latkes. It has never happened before, and it will never happen again.

THIS IS SO COOL!!
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote