View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #31
Debbie L.

Re: Bilateral mastectomy support group

This is always an interesting topic because there are so many right answers -- and it's a different answer for each of us -- one that only we can figure out for ourselves.

But it does help to hear how each person handles it.

For me, one of the biggest advantages to being flat-chested is not wearing a bra. I did initially try some prostheses but it felt wrong for me. I felt costumed and MORE aware of my loss, not less-so. I never wore them out of the bedroom (although I tried, repeatedly).

But that was a long time ago (10 years). Now, I rarely give any thought to my chest. It's just how I am. If I look a little odd in my tank tops (big hips and belly) -- oh well. It's hot here and I've always been more about function than form.

But I do have one issue. I am never sure what to do when people are naked. For myself, I am okay with being naked in front of others, in the appropriate setting. But I know that some people are exquisitely sensitive to scars and mutilations -- to the point of feeling ill to just look at such. And I'd hate to ruin their day.

In locker rooms, this is less of an issue because it's usually not a big deal to just turn away when showering/changing, etc. But what about hot springs and nude beaches? I do not frequent them that often, but occasionally. So far, I've chosen to wear enough of a top to screen the scars, even though it's obvious what the top is covering.

What do others do, in this instance? Do you assume that people who are able to handle nudity themselves will be more able to handle whatever novelty-of-body is presented to them? Or do you cover up?

Debbie Laxague
HER2neu positive by IHC and FISH (8.89).
Lymphovascular invasion, grade 3, 8/9 modified SBR.
TX: Control of arm of NSABP's B-31 adjuvant Herceptin trial (no Herceptin, inducing a severe case of Herceptin-envy): A/C x 4 and Taxol x 4 q3weeks, then rads. Raging infection of entire chest after small revision of mastectomy scar after completing tx (significance unknown). Arimidex for two years, stopped after second pathology opinion.
2017: Mild and manageable lymphedema and some cognitive issues.
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote