View Single Post
Old 07-11-2015, 11:37 AM   #35
AlaskaAngel

Re: All clear Mammo and ten years out!

Welcome to the decade and plus crowd, Tricia!

There is some discussion that those who are triple positive should continue to be monitored farther out for late recurrences. Just who should do the monitoring isn't clear, but the general impression I get is that it is to some degree more of a question of just how comfortable the patient is with "letting go" or not than it is of whether the doctor is ready for that.

I stopped seeing any onc 4 years after completion of tx, in 2006 and instead have continued to be seen by my BS for yearly checks and diagnostic mammos. Three years ago he mentioned the higher risk for late recurrences for HR positives, but also because I have a very strong family hx for bc, and he put me on a schedule of mammo yearly alternating with 6 months later breast MRI (so that I am getting imaged every 6 months by yearly mammo and yearly MRI). I don't have them done in Alaska where I live, and instead have them done at a cancer center in Seattle.

My older sister had IDC back in 2000 that has never recurred (for which she did no chemo or tamoxifen), but since then she was dx'd with IBC in 2010 and then again this year with IBC recurrence. So I continue surveillance in part due to family hx.

Doing well w/o recurrence (but forevermore fighting weight gain),

A.A.
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote