View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #554
Matria

Re: Please post your two cents on Herceptin "side effects" real or perceived!

I am new to this site, but far along in the treatment phase. I was particularly interested in this section, because of the inquiry on side effects, and how little there is out there. The PR out there, is very little "side effects" with Herceptin. I am 58y.o., in july diagnosed with two tumors (one triple negative; other hormone negative, HER2+; Stage II, 1 node with micro met; 3 cm. Treatment typical: mastectomy (3/31 completed second phase of reconstruction, tissue expander removed; implant in); Chemo: ACx4; Taxol/Herceptin x 12 (weekly) currently Herceptin q 3 weeks (Until November). I have decided to discontinue Hercpetin because of the marked "cognitive impairment" side effects. I have been off Taxol now for 4 months, and while I feel better in every way, emotionally stable, fatigue improved, energy improved, peripheral neurapathy gone, (toenails-still yuckey); hair growing in, eyebrows and eyelashes back, the "cognitive impairment" continues, and in fact getting worse. I feel the impairment side effect post-Herceptin severely for a week. But I have noticed, my better weeks are worsening as well. My ability to follow meetings, power point presentation, complexed decision making,calculating numbers, public speaking very difficult. I went from a confident executive to a ......not sure. Similar to a stroke patient, having to relearn everything. I see my analytical and intellectual acumen at 50% post treatment, and 65-70% during my good times. The quality of life issue is major. My career could be in jeopardy. I will have been on Herceptin for 6 months. I feel okay about my decision, since there are not studies out there showing a difference between one year and six months (there are studies going on now looking at six month regimens for early H2+ breast cancer). The one year duration is the standard, only because the clinical trials were done for one year. I'm in the medical field, so my decision is based on current evidence, and alot of research!! My onc had agreed to stop at 9 months if this continued, but at 6 months--I need to stop now.

I'd like to hear more about those with "cognitive impairment" issues related to Herceptin only. I know about the the AC and Taxol CI affects, and other adjuvent therapies, but what about Herceptin? I am tired of people calling this "chemobrain" as if this is a small price to pay for treatment. This is truly a real diagnosis of chemotherapy-induced cognitive impairment. Thanks!!!
Matria is offline   Reply With Quote