View Single Post
Old 03-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #20
AlaskaAngel

Civility, and Analysis of Information

Jackie, I'm told that somewhere recently in time, another "Angel" has posted, so unless I'm allowed to let that one take the "blame" we better keep the "Alaska" in the name for accuracy's sake. Anyway, I'm glad the tactic seems to have worked okay. Thanks for keeping discussion civil and bright.

It IS important to consider the source for information as one way to consider its value. One of the best aspects of the forums here is that information from a wide variety of sources is available for consideration. I can go through the list of sources mentioned, and then read Robert Bazell's "The Making of Herceptin" and understand that revolutonary concepts can still come very close to never being fully developed by "the system" of respectable sources. The source of information is only one factor of many to take into account in evaluating whether the information is meaningful, accurate, or useful.

Even questionable information is valuable simply because it often creates the opportunity for further discussion and development of sharper questions and clearer understanding.

I would recommend to you "The Truth About the Drug Companies", by Marcia Angell, M.D. as one resource that looks at the interrelationships between .com's, .edu's, and governmental agencies in the development of information.

What would be most conclusive in discussing anyone's contribution here would be intelligent analysis and discussion of the actual concepts provided. Other than the first few posts on this thread, I'm still looking for any information either supporting or refuting the actual concepts that were presented. I'm not ready to throw out the concepts based solely on sources, or on personalities.

Respectfully,

AlaskaAngel

Last edited by AlaskaAngel; 03-08-2008 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: spelling correction
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote