Thread: Surgery Stories
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
NanaJoni

Re: Surgery Stories

Ginny - I had bi-lateral mastectomies so we have some difference in the surgery but some things are always the same. There's not much to do ahead of time but try to get emotionally ready whichis also tough. The anesthesia wasn't bad for me - just going to sleep and waking up really groggy. I didn't feel too bad right after and stayed overnight with the bi-lateral. You may not stay overnight if you do well with the lumpectomy. Some of the other ladies may help more but if you have a drain or sometimes more than one, I had someone tell me to get a length of ribbon around 24-30" or so, tie a knot in it and keep in in or near the shower. I could just put it over my head and pin the drains to it and shower away. Was one of the best ideas I had given to me. Pain wasn't bad at all - Tylenol after 48 hrs was all I needed. Sleeping was a little uncomfortable. Another friend gave me a little baby (or travel) pillow which I still use and I propped pillows under both sides so I would sleep on my back. My sweet husband did most of the dressing changes and that was really helpful. I'm sure someone with lumpectomy experience will be more helpful but I think you'll find the dread before surgery is worse than the surgery itself. Good luck and I'll keep you in my prayers for a good result on the sentinel node biopsy, too.
3/24/10:sent.node biopsy clear
3/31/10:bi-lateral mx.;atypical ductal hyperplasia-lft side
4/21/10:wound revision-infection/scarring 4/28/10:seromas both sides
5/21/10:port installed,TCH chemo (6 x 3 wks); Herc,-1yr; 33 rad tx after chemo
07/2010: port not working-2nd port didnt'work;3rd port opposite side.
07/2010: 2 weeks after 3rd port surgery, threw 3 pulm. emboli-IVC filter installed; warfarin
08/2010: hospitalizations w/3 of chemos; decision to stop after 4th-on to radiation in Oct 2010;Herc cont.
12/03/2010 - finished 33 rads Hooray!! cont. Herc. every 3 wks
4/2011 - pneumonia ??? Nope-radiation pneumonitis. No more Herc.
5/2011 - NED!!! port out.
8/2011 - clean PET & CT scans.Still NED
7/2012 - Still NED/very blessed.
2/2013 - 6 mos checkup-all clear. CA2729 down frm 13 to 11.
NanaJoni is offline   Reply With Quote