View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 05:16 AM   #31
sarah

Re: early Christmas present--10 yr overall & bc specific survival results just publis

Herceptin saved my life and is the reason I'm still alive. In 1999 I was diagnosed with HER2+++ BC but they called it DCIS and said Herceptin was not necessary even though I wanted it. 4+ years later I was diagnosed with metastatic bc HER2+++, it looked very grim. I was sure I was a goner but with taxol and Herceptin for 6 months then Herceptin and Femara for 6 more years, I'm here today so I can say confidently that I proved that for me, Herceptin made the difference - without the Herceptin (despite a mastectomy that I was told was over the top), my cancer came back, with it, I'm here today.
I have had heart problems and damaged lung but both due to radiation and not the Herceptin (my every 3 month sonograms for the left ventrigal were always very good). So I lift a glass to Herceptin and thank Dr. Slamon for continuing despite losing his financing from Genetech and proving to Genetech and the world that Herceptin is a great drug and profitable. I hope he never has to beg for research money again. Thank you Dr. Slamon and the Tartikoffs. Watch the movie "Living Proof" about him and Herceptin, it will bring tears to your eyes.