View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
Sandra in GA

Re: New Proposed Changes to Mammogram Guidelines

No self breast exams; mammograms only for the 50 and over. Only those "at risk" are to be tested before age 50. Maybe they have not read that 85% of women who are diagnosed with breast cancer have NO family history of this disease. (That was in some of the information I was given at Mayo Clinic at the time of my diagnosis.) Women who have mothers, grandmothers, or aunts with BC are in the minority. Only 15% have family history. Decreasing the mammograms to only 15% of the women between 40 -49 would decrease the cost, but at what cost?

I am in the majority of people diagnosed with breast cancer by having NO FAMILY HISTORY. Why isn't this fact better publicized? Is it because it would cost too much for more women to be more diligent about mammograms?

Mammograms are not perfect. Breast MRIs are much more reliable, but they are very expensive and not readily available. They should be pushing for more reliable mammogams or other tests instead of pushing to eliminate the test that is the standard now.
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Radiation: 25 rads
Vaccine: Walter Reed GP2/AE37 vaccine study ~ last booster 9/17/2012
Sandra in GA is offline   Reply With Quote