Thread: braless
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #12
Debbie L.

Re: braless

Bilateral mastectomy, no reconstruction. I don't like not having breasts, but I do love not having to wear a bra. As for the appearance of the flat chest, I rarely think about it anymore. Initially I was quite careful about my clothing (ruffles, gathers, big cowls, etc), but not for long. I wear scrubs at work and casual (to put it mildly, smile) clothing most of the rest of the time and it's just regular clothing -- t shirts, tanks, whatever. Once I lost that hyper-awareness of the changes to my body, I realized that most people were not paying that much attention and really -- so what if they were, as long as I am confortable?

As for wearing a bra for the purpose of holding the prostheses, I found that I could not tolerate that. I thought that would be what I did, at least outside the house, and I tried, but man! If I felt obvious and uncomfortable with my flat chested appearance initially, the bra and "things" in it felt (to me) FAR more obvious and uncomfortable.

But I do think that for most of us who go flat, there was a period of adjustment, and it was measured in months and years (not days or weeks). Would others agree?

Debbie Laxague
HER2neu positive by IHC and FISH (8.89).
Lymphovascular invasion, grade 3, 8/9 modified SBR.
TX: Control of arm of NSABP's B-31 adjuvant Herceptin trial (no Herceptin, inducing a severe case of Herceptin-envy): A/C x 4 and Taxol x 4 q3weeks, then rads. Raging infection of entire chest after small revision of mastectomy scar after completing tx (significance unknown). Arimidex for two years, stopped after second pathology opinion.
2017: Mild and manageable lymphedema and some cognitive issues.
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote