View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
Colleens_Husband

Re: Depression from Herceptin

Elizabeth:

I have to agree with MaryL. You have had two cancers in one year. If that isn't a reason to be depressed, then I have no idea what would be.

There are some very inconclusive studies with some pretty wierd results about Herceptin and depression. About 25% of the general adult population has problems with depression. Women with breast cancer have about a 40% occurrence of depression. So it seems that depression with breast cancer is a pretty normal state.

The problem is that women taking Herceptin have an incidence rate of depression of about 6%, which is 34% lower than the incidence rate of women with breast cancer. Do these results mean that Herceptin actually lower the incidence of breast cancer? No, not necessarily. I think women women who take Herceptin are pretty happy to get a treatment for what used to be one of the more deadly types of breast cancer.

The clinical trials do not show a positive link between Herceptin and depression, but they do show a link between having cancer and depression. I suggest you follow the wise advice of others on this forum and continue the Herceptin, which can save your life, and get counseling, which is usually offered at no cost at most cancer centers.

Elizabeth, you will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Lee

Diagnosed in September 2007
ER-/PR-/HER2 Neu+++ 2.1 cm x .9 cm spicluted tumor with three fingers, Stage 2B
Sentinal node biopsy and lymph node removal with 3/18 positive in October 2007
4 TAC infusions
lumpectomy March 2008, bad margins
Re-excision on June 3rd, 2008 with clean margins
Fitted for compression sleeve July 16, 2008
Started the first of two TCH infusions August 14, 2008
Done with chemo and now a member of the blue dot club 9/17/08
Starting radiation October 1, 2008
life is still on hold