View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
Elizabeth1227

Re: Depression from Herceptin

Dear Carolyn,

Thank you for responding to my post. The herceptin is affecting my hormones which is causing the depression. I was hoping there was someone else who has had this side effect. I am feeling better and know it is the herceptin that causes the hormonal imbalance. I would rather be on the herceptin than not but don't know how to cope with the hormone imbalance. I am not estrogen or progesterone positive but I did not need hormone replacement therapy after I went off of the hormones when my breast cancer returned in Feb 2010. It wasn't until the herceptin that my hormones starting affecting me again with depression, over sensitivity, and hot flashes. It is has been almost 4 weeks since my last infusion and the last week I feel like myself again and the hot flashes have subsided. I would live with the hot flashes but don't know how to live with the depression. It has been frustrating to explain what a hormone imbalance can do when someone has not experienced it themselves. It is equivalent to severe post partum blues is the best way I can explain it.

I did not include that I had a secondary primary cancer which I finished treatment in May of this year. I was on very strong chemo Mytomicin and 5 FU and I did not have a side effect like this. I did lose my hair and the radiation caused 2nd burns to my body. I have been through a lot this year but my faith has been getting me through it. Thank You God.

Gratefully, Elizabeth
Elizabeth1227 is offline   Reply With Quote