View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #10
Mary L

Re: Do you get scans with your quarterly checks?

Good Morning Catherine. As an IBC survivor I was getting a PET Scan every year and routine blood work 3 x year. Now that I am a 7 year survivor and 3 years cancer free, they only do cat scans 1 x year and blood work 3 x year. I still see on onc every 4 months and he is very through. As far as reconstruction goes, my plastic surgeon did not recommend it for me as I had so little skin left on my mastectomy site. I am so thankful that I did not push for it as that is the exact site that my IBC skin mets came back 4 times. It probably would have not been detected as early as it was each time. I am perfectly happy with my lightweight prothesis. No one ever knows it's not real and if they do, "who cares". You have to decide what is right for you. Best wishes, Mary L
Mary L from PA Diag: Oct 2003 w/6mm mass, IDC grade III ductal carcinoma in-situ, IBC stage IIIB. tx A/C followed by Taxotere(only able to have 2 tx, allergic), mastectomy, 3 0ut of 7 positive nodes. 35 rads. Recurrence 9 months later, skin mets to mastectomy site. Tx Carboplatin/Herceptin. Stayed on Herceptin almost 5 years, had 3 more recurrences when I had to stop Herceptin due to my ejection fraction getting too low. Herceptin stopped and ned 3 years in Oct. 2010.
Mary L is offline   Reply With Quote