View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
bevilj

Re: Social Security benefits??

Hi,

I was on medical leave from work for approx. 6 months during my first course of treatment (surgery, chemo) and went back to work part-time when I started radiation (I was 38 at the time). 2 years later, I'm still working part-time. I receive long-term disability and social security insurance which offset my reduction in pay due to my part-time disability status. Because of stage IV status, I was 'rushed' through the review/approval process. I did have to wait 2 years for Medicare, however. I would be eligible now but have waived coverage as I continue to get my benefits through my employer. I did check with my employer to make sure that I was ok to do so before I did it. It is my understanding that when I stop working and want to enroll in Medicare benefits, I won't have a waiting period.
10/09 - Started Taxotere, Carboplatin, Herceptin, Zometa. Hospitalized with Tetany.
1/10 - Finished Taxotere, Carbo, continued Herceptin, Zometa. PET/CT - improvement.
2-3/10 - Rads (25 rounds).
8/10 – inflammation vs. malignancy?
1/11 – progression. started Xeloda.
9/11 – progression. pancreatitis or tumor? Chest ‘rash’ appeared.
10/11 – confirmed pancreatitis. Halted Xeloda.
11/11 – skin mets confirmed.
12/11 - started Tykerb, back on Xeloda.
1/12 – cut Xeloda dose in ½. skin mets fading!
4/12 - no more Xeloda. skin mets resolved.
8/12 - brain mets found.
9/12 - gamma knife and fractionated brain radiation.
1/13 - progression throughout body. brain mets shrunk/resolved. no more Tykerb.
2/13 - starting T-DM1 trial.

Last edited by bevilj; 03-06-2012 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: corrected error
bevilj is offline   Reply With Quote