View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
jml

Re: Liver Resection Surgery

Hi CB~
Yes, I did have a cholecystectomy (gall bladder removed), but I forget sometimes. And no, I haven't had any issues with food since the hepatectomy.
I think in the initial weeks post surgery all digestion was slow and difficult, a bit more gassy, but everything resolved with time.
My surg. onc said "NO ALCOHOL for 6 mos" after the surgery. I remember once the 6mos was up I really wanted a frozen margarita, but everyone suggested that I should ease in to the cocktails, rather than starting with tequila!
You probably won't be interested in very rich foods or drink, like wine & ice cream, but soon enough you'll be able to tolerate it again. I know Ben & Jerry would hate it if you had to quit Coffee Heath Bar Crunch!

When my disease did return in my liver we didn't consider another resection because I've had other systemic involvement, so it's been chemo, chemo, chemo for me. Last June I had chemoembolization with Adriamycin to debulk the disease in my liver, and I think it's been pretty okay ever since (with the help of 6mos of TDM1, a few cycles of a PI3Kinase drug, and now Halaven).
I wish you the very best outcome from your surgery and 5x5x5x5x5.....years NED to come!

Keep the Faith~

Jml
jml is offline   Reply With Quote