View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 09:34 AM   #20
sarah

Re: rewrite breast cancer awareness message the way YOU want it to read

Hello Mountain Girl,
A thoughtful post that covers many concerns. I suspect environmental influences in my cancers plus probably a little stress! and genes.

I agree with the general direction of this awareness post, that awareness has succeeded, now the money should be spent on the cure. What if Dr. Slamon hadn't had a wealthy patient who came aboard when the drug company (that eventually profited from his drug) decided to stop funding him? How many scientists are out there on the verge of something equally big but needing funding?
Would it make sense to do a write in to the various cancer associations (there are so many!!) like Komen and say "we as patients want you to spend more on supporting scientists working on a cure. 6% just isn't enough."
Reading those stats is frightening. We all need those odds to be better and that takes research and funding for it. The drug companies don't always back the innovative ideas until they are proven viable (think Herceptin) and we need more creatively thinking scientists working on the cure and we need it now!
Maybe buttons that say "support cancer research" ???